Kristine Garcia-Elliott is an Associate and a member of the firm’s Elder Law & Estate Planning Group in our Lake Success office. Kristine represents clients in all phases of estate planning, Medicaid planning, and special needs planning with a focus on asset protection. Kristine maximizes public benefits by assembling and submitting strong applications, prosecuting compelling internal and external appeals, and advocating for appellants at Fair Hearings. Kristine applies her knowledge and litigation skills to assist families with their unique long term health care needs, while helping maintain their autonomy and dignity. Kristine’s efforts have resulted in awards of 24-hour in-home care services, eliminations of excess income, and reversal of penalty periods due to “gifting.”
As a Court Evaluator, Kristine has intervened to prevent elder abuse and ensure the physical and financial well-being of the most vulnerable population served by Article 81 Guardianship proceedings.
Kristine lectures on various Medicaid, Medicare, and estate planning topics.
Kristine’s legal career began many years before being barred, as a litigation paralegal for 10 years, at a boutique law firm in NYC, where she would later return as an Associate attorney. During that time, she also worked for the Honorable Charles J. Thomas, retired, on Guardianship matters, and court appointments.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, LLP, Kristine was a Samuels Medicaid Long Term Care Fellow at the Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program, a non-profit organization, helping low-income New Yorkers maximize their government benefits. She also conducted legal outreach by training legal, social services, health care professionals and consumers about the rules and changes in health care programs. Including presentations in Spanish for the Latinx community.
- The City University of New York School of Law, Juris Doctor, May 2019
- The City University of New York John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Master of Public Administration: Inspection and Oversight, May 2019
- Bachelor of Arts: Forensic Psychology (2nd Degree), August 2013
- Bachelor of Science: Legal Studies and Political Science, May 2011
Honors and Awards
- Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society, May 2019
- CUNY Law Trailblazer Award, May 2019
- CUNY Law Pipeline to Justice Fellow, May 2017
- Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps JD: Elder Justice Fellow, May 2017
- New York City Bar Association: Problems of the Aging Committee
- New York State Bar Association: Elder Law & Special Needs Section
- New York State Bar, 1st Department, Admitted September 2020
Outside of the office, Kristine serves as the Vice-President of her Homeowners Association, wherein she helps manage a budget of over $5 million dollars, oversees the operation of amenities for approximately 3,000 residents across 40 square acres in NYC, and works closely with elected officials and the City of New York, via the Mayor’s office, City Council and Departments like DOB, DEP, Parks, NYPD, etc., to address quality of life issues in her community.
Kristine was also appointed to her local Community Board by Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson, where she serves on the Land, Zoning, Planning & Economic Development Committee.
Kristine has worked with local community leaders to organize free legal clinics and services in her community. She has also volunteered at events like Senior Law Day and National Night Out Against Crime, to name a few.