Moriah Adamo is a Partner at Abrams Fensterman, LLP. She manages the Elder Law and Estate Planning Department out of our Lake Success office.
Ms. Adamo represents clients through all phases of estate planning and maximizing governmental benefits from planning through appeals. Regularly prosecuting all stages of Medicare and Medicaid appeals, including preparing and advocating for appellants at Fair Hearings and Article 78 proceedings, provides Ms. Adamo with unique experience. She applies that knowledge to assist families planning for and experiencing long term health care needs. Ms. Adamo has successfully represented clients to secure and maximize increased rehabilitation and home care hours, reverse penalty periods, and eliminate findings of excess resources. State and Federal Courts have certified Ms. Adamo as an expert witness in the substantive area of Medicaid in civil and criminal matters.
In the Guardianship proceedings, Ms. Adamo marries litigation skills with extensive knowledge of Medicaid to achieve pragmatic results for incapacitated individuals. Not only has she represented litigants in both contested and uncontested proceedings, but she regularly receives judicial appointments to serve as counsel to alleged incapacitated persons and guardians.
Ms. Adamo is a frequent lecturer on the various Medicaid, Guardianship and estate planning topics. Ms. Adamo has co-authored published articles examining various issues involving maximization of Medicaid benefits. Ms. Adamo has lobbied the State Legislatures regarding important Medicaid programs, advocating for protection of disabled New Yorkers. She is the chair of the New York State Elder Law and Special Needs Medicaid Committee, the former co-chair of the Nassau County Bar Association’s Elder Law, Social Services & Health Advocacy Committee. In addition, she serves as co-chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Elder Law and Special Needs Section’s Health Law Committee.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Ms. Adamo was an associate at a boutique Long Island elder law firm. Ms. Adamo graduated from Arizona State University, manga cum laude, and Touro Law School, summa cum laude. At Touro Law School, Ms. Adamo was a faculty fellow, recipient of a judicial clerkship fellowship, a merit scholar, and a member of the moot court team. Ms. Adamo has been designated as a New York Super Lawyer in Elder Law since 2020, a distinction earned by only 5% of the lawyers in the NY metro area. Ms. Adamo was selected as a “Rising Star” in New York Elder Law by “Super Lawyers” from 2014 – 2018.
- New York
- Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, Huntington, New York
- Honors: Summa Cum Laude, Faculty Fellow, Recipient of a Judicial Clerkship Fellowship, Merit Scholar, Moot Court Team Member
- Arizona State University
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Honors and Awards
- New York Metro Super Lawyers (2020 – 2022)
- Town of North Hempstead Women’s Roll of Honor Inductee (2022)
- Long Island Power Woman in Business, Schneps Communications (2018)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2014 – 2018)
- Jimmo: The Maintenance Standard Applied to Skilled Nursing Facility Services, New York Bar Association, Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, August 2019, (author)
- The Coming Crisis in Appointing Art. 81 Guardians, The Nassau Lawyer, June 2016 (co-author)
- Reflecting on Scope of Guardianship Appointments, New York Law Journal, Outside Counsel, November 20, 2011 (co-author)
- The Provider’s Role in Proving Undue Hardship, New York Bar Association, Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, Fall 2012 (assisted)
- Paying for Long-Term Care, New York State Bar Association Journal, July/August 2011 (co-author)
- Covering Guardianship Costs in a Post-‘Deanna W’ World, New York Law Journal, Outside Counsel, January 6, 2011 (co-author)
Classes and Seminars
- Estate Planning for Your Pet – Animal Legal Defense Fund & The Elder Law Society – Presenter (April 2022)
- A Healthy Approach to Patient Advocacy – Nassau County Bar Association CLE – Speaker (March 2022)
- It’s Not That Complicated: “Trust” Me! – Baldwin Public Library – Presenter (March 2022)
- Securing Maximum Home Health Care Services – Baldwin Public Library – Presenter (February 2022)
- Addressing the Guardian and Care Management Needs, Specifically with Medicaid, When Commencing Article 81 Proceedings – Nassau County Bar Association CLE – Speaker (October 2021)
- Estate Planning in the Age of COVID-19 – Baldwin Public Library – Presenter (April 2020)
- Adult Guardianships: Prevention & Intervention – Nassau County Bar Association – Speaker
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Nassau County Bar Association’s Community Relations & Public Education Committee, Chair, 2017-2019
- New York State Bar Association, Elder Law Section, Chair of the Medicaid Committee
- Co-Chair of the Nassau County Bar Associations’ Elder Law, Social Services and Health Advocacy Committee
- Nassau County Women’s Bar Association, Member