Ellyn S. Kravitz is a partner at Abrams, Fensterman, LLP. She concentrates her practice in elder law, special needs planning, estate planning, estate administration and guardianships. Ellyn is an authority on issues affecting adults and children with disabilities, and our senior population.
Ellyn holds the designation of a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA), awarded by the National Elder Law Foundation as accredited by the American Bar Association.
Ellyn has been designated a Super Lawyer by the Thomson-Reuters Company since 2009, a distinction earned by only 5% of the attorneys in the New York Metro area. She was also included in the list of Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area since 2012 in the New York Times Magazine. Further, she was selected by her peers for inclusion in the past eight editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in the practice area of elder law. Ellyn has been recognized as Best Lawyer “Lawyer of the Year” for 2022 for Elder Law in New York City.
Ellyn is an active member of the New York State Bar Association where she is an active member of both the Elder Law and Special Needs Section and Trusts and Estate Section. She is member of the Executive Committee of the Elder Law Section and serves as the current Co-Vice Chair of the Guardianship Committee. Ellyn is also a member of the Executive Committee of the Trusts and Estates section and is a Co-Chair of its Older Adults and Persons with Disabilities Committee.
Ellyn is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) and the New York State Chapter of NAELA where she served as a board member. She was a former member of the Board of the Estate Planning Council of New York City, Inc.
Ellyn is a member of the Brooklyn Bar Association and serves as Vice Co-Chair of the Elder Law Committee.
She is a frequent presenter to both consumer and professional groups and has provided input to state and national programs addressing legal, financial and other related matters involving persons with disabilities and our senior population.
Ellyn received her Juris Doctor degree from the New England School of Law and her LL.M. in estate planning from the University of Miami. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan.
- Elder Law Attorney, National Elder Law Foundation
- New York, 1993
- U.S. District, Southern District of New York, 2019
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, LL.M.
- Honors: Estate Planning
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer, 2009 – Present
- The Best Lawyers of America®, 2015 – Present
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year – Elder Law, 2022
- Top Women in Metro New York, Super Lawyers, 2012 – 2015
- Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Elder Law and Special Needs Section
- Executive Committee, Member
- Co-Chair of Guardianship Committee
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section
- Executive Committee, Member
- Chair of Elderly and Disabled Committee
- National Elder Law Foundation
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), Member
- New York Chapter of NAELA, Member
- Brooklyn Bar Association
- Co-Vice Chair of Elder Law Committee
- Estate Planning Council of New York, Member
- Director of Law, 2013-2016
- Selfhelp Community Services, Inc, Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program
- Legal Advisor Board, Member
- Kellner Family Pediatric Liver Disease Foundation, Benefit Committee, Member
- Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation (“LIAF”) Legal Advisory Board, Co-Chair, 2005-2006