Labor and Employment Group
The Firm’s Labor and Employment Law Group provides private and public sector employers and employees with representation, advice, and counseling in connection with all of their employment-related needs.
The Labor and Employment Law Group attorneys come from diverse backgrounds and have substantial experience with a wide range of claims. Amongst them are the Group’s Chair, Sharon Stiller, who literally writes and edits the Book for Westlaw and has been recognized nationally as a “Best Lawyer” for employment law. Rachel Demarest Gold comes to the Firm after spending more than a decade in State Government, including as a Deputy Commissioner with the Labor Department. Justin Kelton is a seasoned litigator whose expertise is frequently published. They and the team handle all manner of workplace issues, including union negotiations and disciplinary matters; regulatory agency audits; allegations of discrimination and sexual harassment; whistleblower issues; claims for overtime payments; restrictive covenants (such as non-compete and non-solicitation agreements); employment and severance contracts; reductions in workforce and WARN Act compliance; claims under the New York State and the City Human Rights Laws; privacy issues, trade secrets, and wrongful competition; and training and compliance.
Learn more about our expertise and services here:
- Compliance and Consultation
- Union and Disciplinary Matters
- Agency Enforcement
If you have any employment-related questions, please feel free to contact one of the following attorneys or contact our law firm on Long Island at 516-328-2300, in Brooklyn at 718-215-5300, White Plains at 914-607-7010, Rochester at 585-218-9999 or Albany at 518-535-9477 to schedule an initial consultation. Some recent successes include:
- Recovered nearly $1,000,000.00 for a business that was a victim of a cyber imposter.
- Obtained the prosecution and conviction of two former employees who sabotaged an employer’s computer.
- Successfully resolved a number of claims against a supermarket chain brought by former employees who had been subject to layoffs and terminations, including allegations of discrimination in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII.
- Defeated wage and hours claims on behalf of employers where contractors were claimed to be employees.
- Obtained dismissal of a “tools of the trade” claim in which an employee claimed that he was not paid minimum wage because he used his own equipment.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit alleging breach of a non-compete agreement in an attempt to evade payment obligations arising from purchase of a business interest.
- On behalf of a State hospital, successfully defeated motion for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in purported whistleblower action under N.Y. Labor Law § 741.
- Successfully defended a series of claims by former employees of county hospital system alleging various types of discrimination and other employment-related claims.
- Successfully defended claims against former employee alleging misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and tortious interference with contracts.
- Obtained six-figure settlement, prior to any litigation, on behalf of employee who had been wrongfully terminated for reporting fraud and other misconduct.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing sexual harassment complaint against public employer, affirmed by Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a corporation in a case involving claims by an employee for gender discrimination.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a city in a case involving race discrimination claims by a former employee.
Contact Our Law Firm
For further information about our employment law practice, please contact our law firm today on Long Island at 516-328-2300, in Brooklyn at 718-215-5300, White Plains at 914-607-7010, Rochester at 585-218-9999 or Albany at 518-535-9477.