Robert Abrams (Bob) is the co-founder and an Executive Partner at Abrams Fensterman, LLP, which has developed into a New York Law Journal Top 100 law firm with locations in Lake Success, Brooklyn, Manhattan, White Plains, Rochester, and Albany, New York.
In establishing the foundation for the firm’s many practice areas, Bob has successfully participated in a wide array of diverse and high stakes matters including the following:
- A $35 million dollar judgement for a client involved in a hotly contested commercial and estate litigation.
- Successful defense of a probate contest in an Estate worth sixty-million dollars.
- In response to a frivolous action commenced against his client, he filed a Motion to Dismiss which was granted, as was requested, that his adversary pay litigation costs totaling over $300,000.
- Recouped over $2,000,000 dollars in a FINRA mediation for his client who claimed a major investment bank improperly invaded his margin account.
- Litigated many matters involving family disputes, most often in Guardianship and Estate proceedings.
- Counseled hundreds of families on life and estate planning issues.
In addition, over the past two decades, Bob has created a boutique practice where he represents family members of murder victims. As reported in the media, Bob has been instrumental in helping his clients navigate the criminal justice system and pursue, if and when appropriate, civil remedies.
A prolific educator and writer, Bob has presented educational programs to attorneys, healthcare professionals and consumers throughout the United States. Bob has made presentations to many prestigious organizations including the American Healthcare Association; National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys; American Bar Association; Arizona Healthcare Association; Rhode Island Healthcare Association; California Association of Healthcare Facilities and the National Association of State Veterans Homes. Bob was selected for the Outstanding Achievement Awards from the Association for Continuing Legal Education for his educational programs sponsored by New York State Bar Association titled: Dementia Science & the Law and Aging & Longevity Law.
In addition, Bob has served as Editor for or authored the following resources: Guardianship Practice in New York State, outlining the abrogation of the conservatorship statutes in New York and the enactment of Mental Hygiene Law Article 81; a joint project with the New York State Medical Society titled: The Legal Manual for New York Physicians; and, at the direction of the Honorable Jonathan Lippman, Chief Judge of New York State, The Legal Manual on Public Health Emergency Preparedness. In 2000, Bob co-authored Boomer Basics, which was published by McGraw Hill and which addressed personal, financial and health issues that affect Baby Boomers, their parents and children. In 2009, Bob wrote Watered-Down Truth: A Flood of Lies More Deadly Than Hurricane Katrina. This book received multiple accolades for providing a riveting and truthful account of how and why 35 patients drowned in their Nursing Home during Hurricane Katrina.
Bob has twice been invited to participate in the once in a decade White House Conference on Aging (WHCoA), the first of which was hosted by President Bill Clinton in 1995 and the second hosted by President George W. Bush in 2005. At the 2005 Conference, Bob coordinated the first ever WHCoA Technology Exhibit which showcased technological initiatives designed to improve the quality of life for older individuals in America and throughout the world.
Bob served as Chair of both the Elder and Health Law sections of the New York State Bar Association. Bob had the unique honor to serve as guest editor of the historic 2011 issue of the NYSBA Journal which was titled “Are You Prepared for the Elder Years?” and the 2017 issue which was titled “The Dementia Crisis.” Over 100,000 people have read these special issues of the NYSBA Journal.
Bob received his law degree from the evening division of New York Law School. While attending law school at night, Bob worked in an administrative capacity in a nursing home. He passed the New York State Nursing Home licensure test the same year he passed the Bar exam. He received a Master’s degree in Public Administration from New York University, which included course work completed at Fresno State University of the California University System. Bob graduated with honors from Brooklyn College where he received his bachelor’s degree in special education.
- New York
- New Jersey
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- New York University, New York, New York
- Master’s Degree, Public Administration
- Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, New York
- Boomer Basics
- Guardianship Practice in New York State
- The Legal Manual for New York Physicians
- The Legal Manual on Public Health Emergency Preparedness
- Watered-Down Truth: A Flood of Lies More Deadly Than Hurricane Katrina
- Be a Planner, Not a Gambler: What You Need to Know and Do to Prepare for the Elder Years
- Prepared and participated in educational programs for attorneys, judges, healthcare professionals and consumers throughout the United States
- Adjunct Professor, Touro Law School
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Active Member
- New York State Bar Association, Active Member