Ethan Gerber is an Executive Partner at Abrams Fensterman, LLP. and the Director of the Transportation Industry and Alternative Insurance Departments. He is known as a skilled advocate, inside and outside of the courtroom. As the former managing partner of Gerber & Gerber, PLLC, he has been lead attorney of the largest privately owned law firm concentrating on the taxi and for hire industry. As one of the industry’s chief spokesman and lobbyists, he has been the voice, face and pen of the industry and has been widely quoted and interviewed in newspapers and on radio and TV.
Ethan and his team serve the many needs of the transportation industry: Regulatory compliance and representation; formation, acquisitions, and transactions; insurance and alternate insurance solutions; subrogation; and is especially well known for effective claims handling, litigation, and subrogation.
From 1999 until joining Abrams Fensterman in 2016, Mr. Gerber managed the firm Gerber & Gerber PLLC – the leading self-insurance firm in New York City and consistently the highest grossing subrogation firm serving the yellow taxi industry. Known throughout the state as one of the toughest defense firms, G&G had a reputation for always putting its clients’ interest first, despite any heat or pressure thrown at it.
Gerber joined Abrams Fensterman and brought in his team because he wanted to expand the practice to cover the entire industry and knew that AF had the depth of resources and support to get that done – Under Gerber’s leadership, AF now is the leading firm in New York for the entire for-hire industry – he has helped client’s form self-retention groups, captive insurance companies and helped launch the formation of a fast growing insurance company specializing in for-hire business. He has advised Black, Car Companies, ambulance and ambulette companies, Bus and Trucking companies as well as business that are in disputes or litigation with trucking companies, maritime shippers, etc.
Ethan served as President of the Brooklyn Bar Association in 2011-2012. He also serves on numerous prestigious professional committees. He is a member of the Judicial Screening Committee for the Democratic Party in and for Kings County, the Judicial Screening Committees of the Brooklyn Bar Association and The New York City Bar Association and was appointed by the Presiding Justice of the Appellate Division Second Department to the Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the Second and Thirteenth Judicial Districts. He is also a long-standing member of the Brooklyn Bar Association Grievance Committee and the Vice Chair of the Legislative Committee of the Brooklyn Bar Association and was inducted as a member of the Board of Directors of the Defense Association of New York and has served on the Board of Governors of the Volunteer Lawyers Association.
Ethan graduated Brooklyn Law School in 1988, where he was a member, writer, and editor of the Law Review. He also served as News Editor and writer of the Justinian, the Law School newspaper, and was appointed by the Dean to be a tutor in the foreign trained lawyers’ program, and as a judge in moot court competitions.
Before entering the for-hire industry, he was an Assistant District Attorney in Brooklyn, assigned to a felony trial bureau responsible for prosecuting crimes primarily originating in the Bushwick, Williamsburg, and Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhoods of Brooklyn. As an A.D.A., he proudly achieved a 100 per cent top count conviction rate.
Mr. Gerber also served as an appellate advocate in a (now defunct) top tier negligence and medical practice firm, and an equally famous plaintiff firm.
Ethan Gerber is also known industry wide as a “go to” person who has handled many complex litigation matters for his entrepreneurial clients. Through creative and skilled legal work, he has successfully defended and prosecuted such diverse matters as surety and insurance company bad faith actions, Civil Rico actions, admiralty jurisdiction matters, obtaining investment funds out of mismanaged businesses, and has successfully represented clients brought before many government entities Municipal, State, and Federal.
As a lobbyist and spokesperson, he is widely regarded as the most zealous, passionate, and well-spoken voice of the industries he represents. He is widely quoted and interviewed by the print, radio, and television press.
- Courts of New York State, -2nd Judicial Department
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York, J.D., 1988
- Law review, editor & author
- Dean appointed tutor, Foreign Law program
- Senior Editor, Justinian
- Moot Court Judge
- Hobart College, B.A., 1985
- Continuing Legal Education Offered by Appellate Division, 2nd Department
- Orientation to the Profession Program, Guest speaker (December 2011)
- The ABCs of Commercial Litigation, Faculty (May 2008)
- Continuing Legal Education Offered by Brooklyn Bar Association
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Practice: Intake to Trial I: Initial Sign-Up to EBTs, Faculty (February 2007)
- Ethics: Recent Developments in Professional Responsibility, Faculty (May 2007)
- Commercial Litigation: Issues and Strategies, Faculty March 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Brooklyn Bar Association, President, etc.
- New York City Trial Lawyers Association, member of the Board of Governors
- Kings County Defenders Association
- Judiciary Committee, Association of the bar of the City of New York (Special Adjunct & the Brooklyn Bar Association)
- Columbian Bar Association
- Jewish Lawyers Guild
- Defense Association of New York, member of Board of Directors
Lectures & Publications
- Brooklyn Law Review, article on New York RICO law
- Bill of Particulars (N.Y. State Trial Lawyers Magazine), article on Supplemental Needs Trusts
- Continuing legal education speaker on courses regarding commercial litigation, tort Litigation and provisional remedies
- Avoiding the Settlement Catch 22 – The Supplemental Needs Trust, Bill of Particulars, New York State Trial Lawyers Newspaper
- “A Rico You Can’t Refuse”: New York’s Organized Crime Control Act… 53 Brooklyn L.Rev. 979
- “FAA Outage Adds to US Air Travel Industry Woes,” Quoted in Law360
- “Rough Air Ahead for the FAA” Op-Ed in the New York Daily News