Amy F. Altman
Amy F. Altman is a Partner at Abrams Fensterman, LLP in the firm’s Trusts & Estates Law Practice Group. Ms. Altman focuses on estate litigation matters such as probate contests, discovery proceedings, accounting proceedings and other miscellaneous litigation related to trusts and estates. She has also been appointed as a guardian ad litem, by various Surrogates in several counties to represent minors, unknown heirs and incapacitated individuals.
Ms. Altman is sensitive to the needs of each individual client. She provides them with the time and attention and the tools to understand how to best navigate their matter within the Surrogate’s Court.
Ms. Altman drafts a variety of estate planning documents such as wills, trusts, health care proxies, powers of attorney and living wills and disposition of remains. She also advises clients on the issues that may arise from administering an estate in addition to their potential tax consequences.
Ms. Altman is a contributor to Trusts & Estates Magazine, Law.com, the New York Law Journal and the New York State Bar Association Trusts and Estates Newsletter. She has presented to the New York State Bar Association on topics including Lifetime Gifting and Special and Alternative forms of Letters in Surrogate’s Court.
Ms. Altman received her B.A. from New York University and her J.D. from Brooklyn Law School. Ms. Altman is admitted to practice law in New York and New Jersey.
- Brooklyn Law School, J. D.
- New York University, B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Vice-chair of the Estate Planning Committee, Trusts & Estates Section
- Nassau County Bar Association, Vice-chair, Surrogate's Court Estates & Trusts Committee
- Proving the Family Tree: Navigating A Kinship Proceeding in Surrogate’s Court, The Nassau Lawyer, co-author (April 2020)
- Preventing Morbid Litigation Ask clients about their funeral arrangements, Trust & Estates Magazine, author (February 2017)
- Have We Got It All Wrong? Rethinking the fabric of estate planning, Committee Report: The Modern Practice - WealthManagement.com, co-author (February 2016)
- New Inheritance Rights for Children Conceived After Death, Nassau Lawyer, author (July 2015)
- The Public's Interest in Charitable Trusts: Unsettled Issues, New York Law Journal, co-author (January 2015)