RoseAnn C. Branda
RoseAnn C. Branda is an Executive Partner and Co-Director of the Family and Matrimonial Law department at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP.
Ms. Branda’s professional focus and concentration encompasses all areas of matrimonial and family law. She is an experienced and skilled lawyer in both settlement negotiation and, where necessary, aggressive trial litigation. Her expertise in family law assists her clients in resolving their personal and sensitive matters with grace and dignity. She is passionate about having her clients understand the process and attempt to see the “big picture”.
Ms. Branda graduated Brooklyn Law School in 1984, a member of the Moot Court Honor Society. Following admission to the Bar, she began her career at the law firm of Caruso & Caruso, P.C., quickly gaining recognition for her advocacy and legal skills. In 1992, she became a Partner in the law firm of Caruso, Caruso & Branda, P.C.
In 2014, Ms. Branda was appointed to serve as a member of the Matrimonial Practice Advisory and Rules Committee by then Chief Administrative Judge of the State of New York, the Honorable A. Gail Prudenti. She was also appointed by both Judge Prudenti and the Hon. Randall T. Eng, Presiding Justice of the Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department and served as the Chair of the Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the Second and Thirteenth Judicial Districts. She was also appointed a member of the Committee on Character and Fitness for the Second, Tenth, Eleventh and Thirteenth Judicial Districts and further serves as a member of the Judicial Hearing Officer Selection Advisory Committee for the Second, Eleventh and Thirteenth Judicial Districts. From 1997 to 2005 Ms. Branda was also a member of the Grievance Committee for the Second and Eleventh Judicial Districts.
Recognized as well for her ethics, professionalism and integrity, Ms. Branda chaired the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Attorney Professionalism from 2008 to 2010. Ms. Branda proudly held the office of President for the Brooklyn Bar Association as well as the Bay Ridge Lawyers Association and Columbian Lawyers Association of Brooklyn. She is presently the Co-Chair of the Family Law Section of the Brooklyn Bar Association and serves on the New York State Bar Executive Committee for the Family Law Section as a representative of the Second District.
Ms. Branda’s hard work and commitment to both her clients and practice is second to none, she mirrors the true image of a consummate legal advocate. She has been consistently recognized by her peers, clients and the community at large for her talent, ethics and passion within the field of matrimonial law, having been designated as a New York Super Lawyer every year since 2007 and more recently recognized as one of New York’s Women Leaders in the Law. She has earned one of the most prestigious distinctions in the country from Martindale- Hubbell where she was named a Top-Rated New York Women Leader for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability.
- State of New York – 1985
- U.S. District Court (Eastern District) – 1985
- U.S. District Court (Southern District) – 1985
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York- J.D.
- Moot Court Honor Society – Alumni Member
- Wagner College, Staten Island, NY – B.A.
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Recipient of the Champion of Justice Award by The Brooklyn Daily Eagle
- 2017 Recipient of the Brooklyn Bar Association Trailblazer Award
- 2010 Recipient of the Brooklyn Bar Association Foundation, Inc. Annual Award
- Selected as a New York “Super Lawyer,” Family Law - 2007 through 2021
- 2006 Recipient of the Brooklyn Bar Association Distinguished Service Award
- 2006 Recipient of the Brooklyn Council, Boy Scouts of America Lawyers “Good Scout” Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
President - 2007 to 2008
Chair-Family Law Section - 1998 to the Present
Vice-Chair Attorney-Client Fee Dispute
Resolution Program for Matrimonial Matters
Member, Judiciary Committee
- Columbian Lawyer’s Association of Brooklyn
President - 2015 to 2016
- New York State Bar Association
Chair, Committee on Attorney Professionalism - 2008 to 2010
Delegate, House of Delegates - 2005 to 2009
Executive Committee Family Law Section
Representative of the Second District
- Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert
Member of Board of Directors - 2011 to 2016
Committee on Membership
- American Inns of Court - Barrister Member - 2002 to 2008
he Nathan R. Sobel Kings County Section
- Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association
Member - 2000 to Present
- Bay Ridge Lawyers Association
Past President - 1993-1994
- Special Master in the Mandatory Civil Appeals Mediation Program - October 2018 to Present
- Member of the new Matrimonial Practice Advisory and Rules Committee - 2014 to Present
- Chair of the Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the Second and Thirteenth Judicial Districts - 2012 to 2018
- Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the Second and Thirteenth Judicial Districts - Member 2009 - 2018
- Member of the Committee on Character & Fitness for the Second, Tenth, Eleventh and Thirteenth Judicial Districts - 2007 to Present
- Member of Judicial Hearing Officer Selection Advisory Committee for the Second, Eleventh and Thirteenth Judicial Districts - 2009 to Present
- Member of Grievance Committee for the Second and Eleventh Judicial Districts - 1997 to 2005
Matter of Perau v. Ross, 106 AD3d 1013 (2nd Dept. May 2013)
Rocco v. Rocco, 90 A.D.3d 886 (2nd Dept, December 20th, 2011)
Natalia Khlevner vs. Ruslan Khlevner - 48 A.D.3d 428 (2nd Dept. 2008)
Ivani vs Ivani - 303 A.D.2d 639 (2nd Dept. 2003)
Maddalena vs Maddalena - 217 A.D.2d 606 (2nd Dept. 1995)
Cherfas v Wolf 2008 NY Slip Op 51397(U) [20 Misc 3d 1118(A)]
Cherfas v Wolf 2007 NY Slip Op 51802(U) [17 Misc 3d 1102(A)]
Publications and Media
- Seeking a 'healthy divorce'? Here's what 'Marriage Story' got right (and wrong), quoted, January 2020, NBCNews.com
- Brooklyn Savvy Divorce in New York Interview Part 1 with RoseAnn C. Branda, October 2018
- What Every Engaged Couple Should Know About Prenups, author, April 2018, WeddingChicks.com
- How To 'Bust' Prenuptial Agreements, quoted, April 2018, Forbes.com
- Brooklyn Savvy: You're contemplating a divorce, but you really don't know what you're about to face? Take a listen to Roseann Branda who will give you her expert advice that can help you as you wrestle with this decision. Click here for the interview.