Mental Health Legal Toolkit Part 1 – Remedies for Stabilization and Safety
The New York Women’s Bar Association (NYWBA) launched its two-part series on legal tools for families and individuals navigating Mental Hygiene Law. The first article, co-authored by Abrams Fensterman attorneys Carolyn Reinach Wolf and Sarah A. Chussler, discusses in detail treatment-focused remedies that provide stabilization and safety for those impacted by serious mental illness, substance abuse, or both.
Topics covered in the article include:
- When and how to schedule an Intervention
- Considerations when pursuing a Mental Hygiene Warrant
- What happens during Inpatient Psychiatric Hospitalization
- The rights of involuntarily admitted patients
- Protective measures that can be taken should a loved one pose an immediate risk to themselves or others