By Michael Bass
Legal Sales of Cannabis Begin in New York
KEY RESTRICTIONS WHEN PURCHASING CANNABIS FOR ADULT USE
- You must be 21 years old to purchase.
- It’s a violation of federal law to purchase cannabis in another state and bring it to New York.
- Purchases are limited to small number of approved dispensaries.
- Due to current federal litigation, you cannot legally purchase cannabis in Brooklyn and the Central, Finger Lakes, Mid-Hudson and Western regions of New York.
- Adults 21 years or older can share cannabis with other adults aged 21 or older without compensation but cannot make that “gift” as part of another service or commodity that is for sale.
Our Cannabis Law Group is closely following updates from any relevant litigation and the Office of Cannabis Management and will continue to provide client updates as warranted.