Suman S. Home
Suman S. Home is an Associate at Abrams Fensterman, LLP and a member of the firm’s Mental Health Law Practice Group, the only family-focused mental healthcare practice in the country. Mr. Home focuses his practice on Mental Health Law and Guardianship Law, representing private clients and health care professionals in Mental Hygiene Law Article 9 and Article 81 Guardianship proceedings.
Mr. Home has over a decade of experience in the fields of Mental Health, Guardianship and Elder Law. Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Mr. Home was employed as an Associate Attorney with the Mental Hygiene Legal Service, Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department where he represented and advocated for clients with psychiatric and other disabilities. There, he conducted thousands of Article 9 hearings for psychiatric treatment over objection, retention and release of patients, and Assisted Outpatient Treatment applications for outpatient mental health care (Kendra’s Law). In addition, he appeared in hundreds of Article 81 guardianship matters on initial applications, terminations, and turnover and compliance proceedings. He has also served as an independent Court Evaluator on multiple occasions, where he investigated the alleged incapacitated person’s situation and reported findings and recommendations to the Guardianship Court.
Mr. Home earned an LL.M. in Health Law and Policy from the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University. He also earned his J.D. from Hofstra Law School, graduating with a concentration in Health Law. While in law school, he interned with the Mental Hygiene Legal Service, as well as the Office of the Nassau County Attorney. He earned his B.S. from the Leonard N. Stern School of Business at New York University. He is admitted to practice law in New York and New Jersey.
- New York (2006)
- New Jersey (2005)
- Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York – LL.M.
- Health Law & Policy
- Honors: Graduated with Distinction
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York - J.D.
- Concentration in Health Law
- Honors: Citation of Excellence in Health Law Courses
- Health Law Society, President
- Asian-Pacific American Law Students Association, Vice President
- New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, New York, New York – B.S.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- Elder Law and Special Needs Section, Member
- Health Law Section, Member