Patrick Formato is an Executive Partner, Director of the Health Law Practice group and Co-Chair of the Medical Marijuana Law Group at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP.
Mr. Formato represents a variety of health care providers including skilled nursing facilities, diagnostic and treatment centers, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers, imaging centers, home health care agencies, assisted living facilities, management service organizations, physicians and physician groups in connection with mergers and acquisitions, fraud and abuse, government investigations, corporate structure, regulatory issues, corporate compliance, managed care, Medicare and Medicaid audits, managed care agreements, partnership disputes, employment, shareholder and partnership agreements, certificates of need, real estate and general business/corporate matters.
Recognized by his peers and clients as a knowledgeable and talented health care attorney, Mr. Formato has been asked by many health care and professional organizations to present programs on such topics as fraud and abuse, corporate compliance, reimbursement, and provider contracting.
In addition to lecturing, Mr. Formato has written articles and has been published in professional and industry journals and newsletters. He has also authored several chapters and served as an Editor of the Fifth Edition of the Legal Manual for Physicians that was published by the New York State Bar Association in conjunction with the Medical Society of the State of New York, and is a contributing author of “The Biggest Legal Mistakes Physicians Make and How to Avoid Them.” Mr. Formato has been designated as a New York Super Lawyer since 2013, a distinction earned by only 5% of the lawyers in the NY metro area and received the Leadership in Law award from the Long Island Business News in 2013. Mr. Formato was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the practice area of health care law since 2020.
He received a J.D., cum laude, from Albany Law School and a B.A., cum laude, from the State University of New York at Albany. Active in legal and professional associations, Mr. Formato is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, the New York State Bar Association's Health Law Section, and the Nassau County Bar Association's Hospital and Health Law Committee. He also served as Chairman of the Health and Hospital Committee of the Nassau County Bar Association, and was a member of the Executive Committee of the Health Law Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Successfully represented a physician group in connection with a joint Federal and State Civil False Claims investigation and Qui Tam action which resulted in both the US Attorney’s office and the New York State Attorney General’s office decision to decline to intervene in the case and resulted in the Qui Tam relator’s withdrawal of its action.
- Represented three skilled nursing facilities and related real estate entities in a $100 million plus sale of the operations and real estate of the nursing homes.
- Represented a Not-For-Profit skilled nursing facility in connection with its sale and associated receivership and 510/511 petition.
- Represented a physician group in its acquisition of dozens of other practices and corporate restructuring which eventually yielded a private equity sales transaction.
- Successfully represented an ambulatory surgery center in connection with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid’s proposed termination of the facility from the Medicare program.
- Represented large anesthesia group in connection with its merger with another large anesthesia group.
- Represented owner of several assisted living facilities in connection with a partnership dispute and eventual separation and purchase and sale agreement.
- Represented owner of assisted living facilities in connection with the buy out of her partners.
- Represented psychology practice in a complicated sales transaction.
- Albany Law School at Union University, Albany, New York
- State University of New York, Albany, New York
Honors and Awards
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2013-Present
- Best Lawyers of America, 2020 - Present
- Long Island Business News' Who's Who in Healthcare Professionals and Healthcare Law (2020)
- Leaders in the Law - Health Law, New York Magazine (June 2018)
- Long Island Business News' Leadership in Law Award (2013)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member
- Nassau County Bar Association,Past Chairman, Health and Hospital Committee