Health Care Fraud and Regulatory Enforcement
At Abrams Fensterman, our attorneys have handled a wide array of healthcare investigations and prosecutions, including matters under the Federal and State False Claims Acts, Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law and mail and wire fraud statutes. In connection with these matters, our attorneys have represented nursing homes, physicians, management service organizations, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic treatment centers, home care companies and various other health care providers. These matters have often involved allegations of fraudulent billing, paying, or receiving kickbacks or bribes, billing for and/or providing medically unnecessary services and products, Stark violations, patient abuse and neglect, and other regulatory violations.
In addition to defending healthcare clients in fraud and abuse cases, our attorneys have a wealth of experience counselling clients subjected to audits, investigations, and surveys by federal, state and local government entities, including:
- New York State Office of the Medicaid Inspector General
- Medicaid Fraud Control Units
- New York State Attorney General
- New York State Department of Health
- New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports
- Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Inspector General
- NYC Department of Social Services
Our involvement with government audits, investigations and surveys includes:
- Responding to subpoenas and requests for information
- Attending entrance and exit conferences
- Responding to draft audit reports
- Appealing final audit reports
- Negotiating settlements
- Negotiating settlement and corporate integrity agreements
- Implementing and monitoring compliance with corporate integrity agreements
- Developing plans of correction
- Challenging survey and inspection findings
The firm’s health care and regulatory enforcement team prides itself on developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with government agencies and officials but simultaneously prepares strategically and diligently to represent our clients at trial or in other litigation when favorable resolutions are unattainable.
For further information about how our attorneys can help you navigate a government audit, investigation or survey, please contact our law firm on Long Island at 516-328- 2300, in Brooklyn at 718-215-5300, in White Plains at 914- 607-7010, in Rochester at 585-218-9999 or in Albany at 518-535-9477 to schedule an initial consultation.