Mark J. Caruso
Mark J. Caruso is a Partner at Abrams Fensterman, LLP and is the Co-Director of the firm’s Real Estate Law Practice Group.
Mr. Caruso concentrates and has extensive experience in all areas of Real Estate Law in both commercial and residential real estate, representing both buyers and sellers including preparation and review of contracts, closings, leases and 1031 exchanges. In addition to transactional real estate work, Mr. Caruso has experience and has handled a variety of real estate litigation cases including partitions, easements, adverse possession and breaches of contracts of sale, among other matters. Mr. Caruso is regarded as a knowledgeable real estate attorney and has been a lecturer on real estate on several occasions in addition to being the Chair of the Real Property Section of the Brooklyn Bar Association for several years. He has successfully argued in front of the Appellate Division, Second Department and several of his litigation cases have been reported on the front page of the New York Law Journal.
In addition to Real Estate, Mr. Caruso has experience practicing business law including business litigation, corporate and partnership formation and representation of clients purchasing and selling businesses, as well as experience in the preparation of Wills and Surrogate’s Court litigation, probate and administration proceedings
Prior to joining Abrams, Fensterman, Mr. Caruso was a Partner in Caruso, Caruso & Branda P.C. where he joined the firm in 1978 with his father, Leroy F. Caruso, who founded the firm in 1952 in the Dyker Heights/Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn.
Mr. Caruso has been designated as a New York Super Lawyer in Real Estate since 2019, a distinction earned by only 5% of the lawyers in the NY metro area.
Mr. Caruso holds a B.A. from Colgate University and a J.D. from Hofstra University School of Law. He was admitted to the New York State Bar, United States District Court, Eastern District and United States Southern District in 1978.
- New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District
- United States District Court, Southern District
- Maurice A. Deane School of Law - Hofstra University, J.D.
- Colgate University, B.A.
Lectures and Presentations
- Brooklyn Bar Association – Real Estate Contracts: Common Problems to Avoid, June 2006
- Brooklyn Bar Association – Real Estate Closings: Problems & Solutions, November 2007
- Brooklyn Bar Association – Real Estate Transactions: Closing the Back Door, May 2009
- Bay Ridge Lawyers Association – Purchase and Sale of Small Business, March 2010
- Brooklyn Bar Association – Nuts and Bolts of Real Estate Contract Provisions, Procedures and Pitfalls, June 2013
- Brooklyn Bar Association – Cooperative Apartment Transactions, May 2015
- Bay Ridge Lawyers Association – Things Every Attorney Should Know About A Real Estate Contract, January 2016
- Columbian Lawyers Association of Brooklyn – Navigating a Real Estate Transaction, February 2016
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2019-2021
- Brooklyn Bar Association, Chair, Real Property Section
- Hofstra University School of Law Alumni Distinguished Service Award
- Past President Hofstra University School of Law Alumni Association
- Past Vice President and Trustee, Hofstra University School of Law Alumni Association
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating