Ethan B. Gerber
Ethan Gerber is an Executive Partner at Abrams Fensterman, LLP. and the Director of the Transportation Industry and Alternative Insurance Departments. Ethan Gerber is known as a skilled advocate, inside and outside of the courtroom. As the former managing partner of Gerber & Gerber, PLLC, he has been lead attorney of the largest privately owned law firm concentrating on the taxi and for hire industry. As one of the industry's chief spokesman and lobbyists, he has been the voice, face and pen of the industry and has been widely quoted and interviewed in newspapers, radio and TV.
Ethan served as President of the Brooklyn Bar Association in 2011-2012. He also serves on numerous prestigious professional committees. He is a member of the Judicial Screening Committee for the Democratic Party in and for Kings County, the Judicial Screening Committees of the Brooklyn Bar Association and The New York City Bar Association and was appointed by the Presiding Justice of the Appellate Division Second Department to the Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the Second and Thirteenth Judicial Districts. He is also a long standing member of the Brooklyn Bar Association Grievance Committee and the Vice Chair (serving with Chairman and County Democratic Chairman Frank Seddio) of the Legislative Committee of the Brooklyn Bar Association and was inducted as a member of the Board of Directors of the Defense Association of New York.
Ethan graduated Brooklyn Law School in 1988, where he was a member, writer and editor of the Law Review. He also served as an editor and writer of the, Justinian, the Law School newspaper, and was appointed by the Dean to be a tutor in the foreign trained lawyers' program, and as a judge in moot court competitions.
Before entering the for hire industry, he was an Assistant District Attorney in Brooklyn, assigned to a felony trial bureau responsible for prosecuting crimes primarily originating in the Bushwick, Williamsburg, and Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhoods of Brooklyn. As an A.D.A., he proudly achieved a 100 per cent top count conviction rate.
Mr. Gerber also served as an appellate advocate in a (now defunct) top tier negligence and medical practice firm, Bower & Gardner and of the equally famous (also now defunct) plaintiff firm of Schneider, Kleinick, & Weitz.
Since 1999 Mr. Gerber managed the firm Gerber & Gerber PLLC - the leading self-insurance firm in New York City and consistently the highest grossing subrogation firm serving the yellow taxi industry. Known throughout the state as one of the toughest defense firms, G&G had a reputation for always putting its clients’ interest first, despite any heat or pressure thrown at it.
Ethan Gerber is also known industry wide as a "go to" person who has handled many complex litigation matters for his entrepreneurial clients. Through creative and skilled legal work he has successfully defended and prosecuted such diverse matters as surety and insurance company bad faith actions, Civil Rico actions, admiralty jurisdiction matters, obtaining investment funds out of mismanaged businesses, and has successfully represented clients brought before many government entities including the Office of the Attorney General. His expertise also includes alternatives to traditional insurance.
As a lobbyist and spokesperson he is widely regarded as the most zealous, passionate and well-spoken voice of the industries he represents. He is widely quoted and interviewed by the print, radio and television press.
- Courts of New York State, -2nd Judicial Department
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York, J.D., 1988
- Law review, editor & author
- Dean appointed tutor, Foreign Law program
- Senior Editor, Justinian
- Moot Court Judge
- Hobart College, B.A., 1985
- Continuing Legal Education Offered by Appellate Division, 2nd Department
- Orientation to the Profession Program, Guest speaker (December 2011)
- The ABCs of Commercial Litigation, Faculty (May 2008)
- Continuing Legal Education Offered by Brooklyn Bar Association
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Practice: Intake to Trial I: Initial Sign-Up to EBTs, Faculty (February 2007)
- Ethics: Recent Developments in Professional Responsibility, Faculty (May 2007)
- Commercial Litigation: Issues and Strategies, Faculty March 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Brooklyn Bar Association, President, etc.
- New York City Trial Lawyers Association, member of the Board of Governors
- Kings County Defenders Association
- Judiciary Committee, Association of the bar of the City of New York (Special Adjunct & the Brooklyn Bar Association)
- Columbian Bar Association
- Jewish Lawyers Guild
- Defense Association of New York, member of Board of Directors
Lectures & Publications
- Brooklyn Law Review, article on New York RICO law
- Bill of Particulars (N.Y. State Trial Lawyers Magazine), article on Supplemental Needs Trusts
- Continuing legal education speaker on courses regarding commercial litigation, tort Litigation and provisional remedies
- Big Jobs Should Not Get Short Pay, LIABRA News Article (September 2018)
- The Case for an Uber cap, Crain's New York Business Op-Ed (February 2018)
- Potholes await Taxi of Tomorrow, New York Daily News Editorial (September 2012)
- Avoiding the Settlement Catch 22 - The Supplemental Needs Trust, Bill of Particulars, New York State Trial Lawyers Newspaper
- "A Rico You Can't Refuse": New York's Organized Crime Control Act... 53 Brooklyn L.Rev. 979
In The News
- NYC Uber Rules Aren't A Cure-All For Driver, Traffic Woes, Law360 (June 2019)
- Bleak Prospects For Cabbies' Challenges To Uber, Lyft Regs, Law360 (August 2018)
- NYC Uber Cap A Harbinger Of More Hard-Line Rules, Law360 (August 2018)
- Is Uber 'Breaking the Rules' or Actually Breaking the Law?, The Observer (May 2015)
- Key Players in NYC Taxi World Call For Investigation Into Uber's Hiring of Former TLC Deputy Commissioner Ashwini Chhabra, The Observer (May 2014)
- Ed Mullins of SBA and Ethan Gerber of GNYTA - New Cooperation of Taxi Drivers and Police, NY 1 News (March 2014)
- Sergeants and Taxi Drivers Plan Parntership, The Washington Times (March 2014)
- Quoted in New York Times, Ethan Gerber Offers Pointed Send Off to Chairman of TLC (December 2013)
- Quoted in The NY Post, Judge Blocks Rollout of 'Taxi of Tomorrow' (October 2013)
- Quoted in The Japan Times, Nissan Only NY Taxi Fleet Plan Struck Down (October 2013)
- Quoted in The Gothamist, City Completely Overreacted with Taxi of Tomorrow, Lawsuit Says (January 2013)