Employment Law Overview
The Firm’s Employment Law Group provides private and public sector employers and employees with advice, counseling, and representation in connection with all of their employment-related needs. The Group conducts compliance audits, internal investigations, and trainings, counsels clients in negotiations of employment agreements and severance, and represents clients in Federal and State court litigation, arbitration, mediation, and administrative proceedings before the EEOC, New York State Division of Human Rights, New York City Commission on Human Rights, the Public Employment Relations Board, and others.
The Employment Law Group’s attorneys have substantial experience in matters involving a wide range of employment-related claims, including allegations of discrimination, sexual harassment, whistleblower issues, claims for overtime payments under the Fair Labor Standards Act, restrictive covenants (such as non-compete and non-solicitation agreements), employment contracts, reductions in force and WARN Act compliance, claims under the New York State Human Rights Law and the New York City Human Rights Law, privacy issues, trade secrets, wrongful competition, and many other areas.
We handle labor negotiations, grievance mediations and arbitrations and matters brought before the Public Employment Relations Board. We also handle employee disciplinary matters, including hearings conducted under the Education Law and Civil Service Law.
We provide day to day advice, draft relevant documents, audit work-related records, and represent clients in audits and agency proceedings such as those brought for discrimination and sexual harassment, and we have seasoned litigators available to prosecute or defend claims in court.
The Employment Law Group’s recent successes include the following:
- Recovered nearly $1,000,000.00 for a business that was a victim of a cyber imposter.
- Obtained the prosecution and conviction of two former employees who sabotaged an employer’s computer.
- Successfully resolved a number of claims against a supermarket chain brought by former employees who had been subject to layoffs and terminations, including allegations of discrimination in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII.
- Defeated wage and hours claims on behalf of employers where contractors were claimed to be employees.
- Obtained dismissal of a “tools of the trade” claim in which an employee claimed that he was not paid minimum wage because he used his own equipment.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit alleging breach of a non-compete agreement in an attempt to evade payment obligations arising from purchase of a business interest.
- On behalf of a State hospital, successfully defeated motion for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in purported whistleblower action under N.Y. Labor Law § 741.
- Successfully defended a series of claims by former employees of county hospital system alleging various types of discrimination and other employment-related claims.
- Successfully defended claims against former employee alleging misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and tortious interference with contracts.
- Obtained six-figure settlement, prior to any litigation, on behalf of employee who had been wrongfully terminated for reporting fraud and other misconduct.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing sexual harassment complaint against public employer, affirmed by Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a corporation in a case involving claims by an employee for gender discrimination.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a city in a case involving race discrimination claims by a former employee.
If you have any employment-related questions, please feel free to contact one of the following attorneys or contact our law firm on Long Island at 516-328-2300, in Brooklyn at 718-215-5300, Manhattan at 212-279-9200, White Plains at 914-607-7010 or Rochester, New York, at 585-218-9999, to schedule an initial consultation.