Jeffrey A. Cohen
Retired Appellate Justice Jeffrey A. Cohen is Of Counsel at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP working out of the White Plains office. Justice Cohen is a member of the firm’s appellate, litigation, municipal and white-collar criminal law practices.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Justice Cohen served with distinction as Associate Justice of the Appellate Division, Second Judicial Department, for over a decade following his appointment by Governor David Patterson in December 2010. Prior to his rapid ascension to the appellate bench, Justice Cohen was elected to the New York State Supreme Court, 9th Judicial District in 2009 and prior to that he was elected to serve as a Westchester County Court Judge in 2006. While serving as a Westchester County Court Judge he was also appointed as an Acting Supreme Court Justice.
Justice Cohen’s judicial career began when he was first elected Town Justice of the Town of Yorktown. During his 17 years on that bench, he also served by appointment as an Acting City Court Judge in the Cities of Yonkers, White Plains, Mount Vernon, Peekskill and New Rochelle.
He was also appointed by the Westchester County Executive as Chair of the Westchester County Board of Ethics where he served in that capacity for over eight years. As an attorney, he was a founding partner of Cohen, Timko & Moses, LLP, a boutique White Plains law firm specializing in civil and criminal litigation, real estate, bankruptcy, and condominium and cooperative board representation. He began his legal career as a trial attorney with The Westchester County Legal Aid Society.
Justice Cohen is the Co-Founder and President of both the Justice Brandeis Law Society of the 9th Judicial District and the Jewish Bar Alliance, NY which is an umbrella organization of all five Jewish bar associations of Greater New York.
Justice Cohen has consistently received the highest AV preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, signifying legal ability of "very high to preeminent" and ethical standards of "very high" throughout his admirable and highly respected legal career.
He has lectured at Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programs for the Westchester County Magistrate’s Association as well as numerous bar and professional associations.
Justice Cohen earned his Juris Doctorate at the Rutgers University School of Law and a Bachelor of Arts from New York University. Justice Cohen proudly served in United States Army Reserves and is a retired Captain of the New York Guard.
Justice Cohen is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
- Bar of the State of New York - 1976
- United States Supreme Court - 1980
- United States District Court of the Southern District of New York - 1980
- United States District Court of the Eastern District of New York - 1980
- Israel Bar - 1983
- Rutgers University School of Law (Juris Doctor)
- New York University (Bachelor of Arts)
Honors and Awards
- Appointed, Member of the Committee to Oversee Representation of the Indigent in Criminal Cases (Appellate Division, Second Department)
- Member, New York State Commission on Statewide Attorney Discipline
- Chair, Westchester County Board of Ethics - Appointed by Andrew Spano, Westchester County Executive
- AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings™
- Former President and Member of Board of Directors, Westchester County Magistrate’s Association
- Benjamin N. Cardozo Award, Jewish Lawyers Guild (March 2019)
- Person of the Year Award, Brooklyn Brandeis Society (2018)
- Honoree, White Plains Bar Association (May 2016)
- Special Lifetime Achievement Award, New York City Legal Referral Network (May 2016)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President & Co-Founder - Jewish Bar Alliance NY
- President and Co-Founder, Justice Brandeis Law Society 9th JD
- Brooklyn Brandeis Association, Member (2015 - Present)
- Historical Society of the New York Courts, Member (2015 - Present)
- Ninth Judicial District Committee to Promote Gender Fairness
- Judiciary Committee of Westchester County Domestic Violence Council, Former Member
- New York State Supreme Court Justices Association
- New York State County Judges Association, Former Member
- Westchester County Criminal Justice Advisory Committee, Former Board Member
- New York State Magistrates Association, Member
- Westchester County Magistrates Association, Former President
- Westchester County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Westchester County and New York State
Publications and Seminars
- A LEGAL REVIEW OF AUTISM, A SYNDROME RAPIDLY GAINING WIDE ATTENTION WITHIN OUR SOCIETY Albany Law Review 2013 - 2014 Full collaboration with co-authors Hon. A. Thomas Dickerson & Joanne M. Forbes. Esq.
- PERSONAL JURISDICTION AND THE MARKETING OF GOODS AND SERVICES ON THE INTERNET Hofstra Law Review (Fall 2012) Full collaboration with co-authors Hon. Thomas A. Dickerson & Hon. Cheryl E. Chambers
- Achieve It Solutions, LLC v. Joseph Lewis, et al. Diagnostic Imaging Group, LLC, 186 A.D.3d (2020) [2d Dept 2020]
- Bader v. River Edge at Hastings Owners Corp. 159 A.D.3d 780 (2018) [2d Dept 2018]
- People v. McCullum,159 A.D.3d 8 (2018) [2d 2018]
- Evergreen Ass'n, Inc. v. Schneiderman, 153 A.D.3d 87 [2d Dept 2017]
- Matter of Universal Metal & Ore, Inc. v. Westchester County Solid Waste Com'n, 145 A.D.3d 46 [2d Dept 2016]
- Gotkin v. Allstate Ins. Co., 142 A.D.3d 17 [2d Dept 2016]
- Deutsche Bank Tr. Co. Americas v. Vitellas, 131 A.D.3d 52 [2d Dept 2015]
- Matter of Georgetown Unsold Shares, LLC v. Ledet, 130 A.D.3d 99 [2d Dept 2015]
- Paulus v. Christopher Vacirca, Inc., 128 A.D.3d 116 [2d Dept 2015]
- People v. Brown, 115 A.D.3d 155 [2d Dept 2014], affd, 25 NY3d 247 
- People v. Webster, 126 A.D.3d 821 [2d Dept 2015]
- Indep. Bank v. Valentine, 113 A.D.3d 62 [2d Dept 2013]
- People v. Sepe, 111 A.D.3d 75 [2d Dept 2013]
- Trump Vil. Section 3, Inc. v. City of New York, 109 A.D.3d 899 [2d Dept 2013], affd, 24 NY3d 451 
- Matter of Hei Ting C., 109 A.D.3d 100 [2d Dept 2013]
- People v. Heidgen, 87 A.D.3d 1016 [2d Dept 2011], affd, 22 NY3d 259 
- Yaturo v. Mangano, 87 A.D.3d 582 [2d Dept 2011]