Ellyn S. Kravitz
Ellyn S. Kravitz is a Partner at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP. She concentrates her practice in elder law, special needs planning, estate planning, estate administration, guardianship, and veterans’ benefits. Ellyn is an authority on issues affecting adults and children with disabilities, and our senior population.
Ellyn holds the designation of a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA), awarded by the National Elder Law Foundation as accredited by the American Bar Association. There are fewer than 400 CELAs throughout the United States. Ellyn is also accredited by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to present and prosecute claims for veterans’ benefits.
Ellyn has been designated a Super Lawyer by the Thomson-Reuters Company since 2009, a distinction earned by only 5% of the attorneys in the New York Metro area. She was also included in the list of Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 in the New York Times Magazine. Further, she was selected by her peers for inclusion in the 21st, 22nd and 23rd editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in the practice area of elder law.
Ellyn is an active member of the New York State Bar Association where she is an active member of both the Elder Law and Special Needs Section and Trusts and Estate Sections. She is member of the Executive Committee of the Elder Law Section and serves as the current Co-Vice Chair of the Guardianship Committee. Previously, she served as co-chair of the Estate and Tax, Legal Education and Health Care Committees. Ellyn is also a member of the Executive Committee of the Trusts and Estates section and serves as the Chair of its Elderly and Disabled Committee. She previously served as Co-Chair of the Elder Law Committee of the Westchester County Bar Association.
Ellyn is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) and the New York State Chapter of NAELA. She is also a member of the Board of the Estate Planning Council of New York City, Inc.
Ellyn was former co-chair of the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation (“LIAF”) Legal Advisory Board. She also serves on the Legal Advisory Committee of the Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program of Selfhelp Community Services, Inc. and on the Benefit Committee of the Kellner Family Pediatric Liver Disease Foundation.
She is a frequent presenter to both consumer and professional groups and has provided input to state and national programs addressing legal, financial and other related matters involving persons with disabilities and our senior population.
Ellyn received her Juris Doctor degree from the New England School of Law and her LL.M. in estate planning from the University of Miami. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan.
- Elder Law Attorney, National Elder Law Foundation
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- Honors: Estate Planning
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- University of Michigan
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer, 2009 - Present
- The Best Lawyers of America, 2014 - Present
- Top Women in Metro New York, Super Lawyers, 2012 - Present
- Long Island Alzheimer's Foundation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Elder Law and Special Needs Section
- Executive Committee, Member
- Co-Chair of Guardianship Committee
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section
- Executive Committee, Member
- Chair of Elderly and Disabled Committee
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), Member
- New York Chapter of NAELA, Member
- Estate Planning Council of New York, Member
- Director of Law, 2013-2016
- Selfhelp Community Services, Inc, Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program
- Legal Advisor Board, Member
- Kellner Family Pediatric Liver Disease Foundation, Benefit Committee, Member
- Long Island Alzheimer's Foundation ("LIAF") Legal Advisory Board, Co-Chair, 2005-2006