Richard Thomas is a Partner and Co-Chair of the Medical Marijuana Law Group at Abrams Fensterman, LLP.
Mr. Thomas is a member of the Health Law Practice Group and provides counsel on all aspects of health care law. He particularly focuses on regulatory compliance, advising health care providers including nursing homes, physician practice groups, surrogacy programs and others.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Mr. Thomas was an attorney within the New York State Department of Health for nearly 6 years and served as the Deputy Director of the Bureau of Program Counsel. In that capacity, Mr. Thomas provided advice and counsel to almost all programs within the Department of Health, including on matters related to licensing and regulating hospitals, nursing homes, adult care facilities, home care, emergency medical services, environmental and clinical labs, radiologic technologists, and surrogacy programs, and all environmental health matters, such as drinking water contamination and legionella outbreaks. Mr. Thomas also handled Department of Health arranging grant and procurement matters.
While at the Department of Health, Mr. Thomas advised on all matters relating to the COVID-19 pandemic response and oversaw the development of regulations governing the licensing of gestational surrogacy programs, certificates of need for licensed home care services agencies and midwifery birth centers, and personal and compassionate care giving visits for nursing home and adult care facility visitors.
Mr. Thomas earned his J.D. from Pace University School of Law, his LL.M. from the University of London, and his B.S. from the University of Aberdeen.
Mr. Thomas is admitted to practice law in States of New York and New Jersey.
- New York, 2010
- New Jersey, 2009
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York, J.D. (Magna Cum Laude)
- Law Review: Pace Environmental Law Review
- University of London, London, England, LL.M. (Merit)
- University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, B.S. (Hons)
- A Truly Modern Prometheus: Law and Policy at the Brink of a Genetic Revolution (co-authored with NYS Commissioner of Health Howard Zucker, M.D., J.D.), Albany Law Journal of Science and Technology, January 2021.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Albany County Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member