Michael E. Ratner
Michael E. Ratner is a Partner at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP. Mr. Ratner represents the firm's clients in family law, divorce and other litigation matters. As a rising attorney in his field, Mr. Ratner was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers in 2016 and has been designated as a Super Lawyer each year since 2014, a distinction achieved by no more than 5% of the lawyers in the state.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Ratner is actively involved in numerous legal organizations and associations. Shortly after being admitted to the bar, Mr. Ratner became involved in the Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County. He was selected to serve as an officer in the association in 2005 and continued through the chairs becoming the youngest President in the history of the Association in 2010.
Mr. Ratner has also been as an administrator for the Nassau County Parent Education and Custody Effectiveness program (P.E.A.C.E.) for over sixteen (16) years. This program is designed to educate parents going through custody issues in relation to divorce and/or separation. He has lectured to over 5,000 parents during his tenure as an administrator.
A member of the Nassau County Bar Association (NCBA), Mr. Ratner is active in the matrimonial law and commercial litigation committees. He serves as a member of the Advisory Board of the Nassau Academy of Law where he organizes and lectures in continuing legal education programs. Mr. Ratner has lectured for the NCBA, New York State Bar Association, the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and the New York State Council on Divorce Mediation on various topics, including the impact of divorce/separation proceedings on health insurance coverage, the "no fault" divorce laws, changes to spousal support/maintenance guidelines, contested support/maintenance guidelines, contested support/enforcement proceedings and other recent developments in the law.
In 2013, Mr. Ratner was presented with the Rising Star Award from The Queens Courier, which recognized “40 Under 40” Rising Stars and was selected to the 2013 Super Lawyer New York Rising Stars list. Mr. Ratner is a member of the Association of Family Court and Community Professional, and was a founding member of its New York Chapter. Mr. Ratner was also recognized by the Long Island Business News as "One to Watch" in 2011.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Ratner clerked for Bee, Eisman & Ready, LLP, working in the areas of matrimonial, corporate, labor, employment, real estate, and personal injury law. He also interned for former Nassau County District Court Judge Kenneth L. Gartner.
Mr. Ratner received his J.D. from Hofstra University School of Law and his B.S. in Business Administration from the State University of New York at Albany. In law school, he was elected Managing Editor of Articles for the Family Court Review, where he published a student note in the October 2001 issue, entitled "In the Aftermath of Troxel v. Granville: Is Mediation the Answer?"
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York - JD
- Family Court Review, Managing Editor of Articles
- State University of New York, Albany, New York - BS
- Major: Business Administration
- In the Aftermath of Troxel v. Granville: Is Mediation the Answer?", Student Note (October 2001)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, 2014- Present
- Rising Star Award from Super Lawyers, 2013
- Rising Star Award from The Queens Courier, which recognized "40 Under 40" Rising Stars, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Nassau County Parent Education and Custody Effectiveness Program (P.E.A.C.E.), Administrator
- Nassau Academy of Law, Member, Advisory Board
- Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County, Former President
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- Association of Family Court and Community Professionals, Founding Member New York Chapter
- Nassau County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Bee, Eisman & Ready, LLP, Clerk
- Former Nassau County District Court Judge Kenneth L. Gartner, Clerk