Michael S. Kelton
Michael S. Kelton is a Partner at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP, and the Director of the firm's Medical Malpractice Defense Practice and OPMC/OPD Defense Practice.
Mr. Kelton presently defends medical malpractice cases for various malpractice insurance carriers, as well as hospitals, uninsured physicians and municipal entities. Mr. Kelton also handles physician disciplinary and professional misconduct matters before the New York State Department of Health Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) and the New York State Education Department Office of Professional Discipline (OPD), as well as physician-hospital disciplinary disputes. Mr. Kelton has published articles on medical misconduct issues and medical billing audit issues for the New York Law Journal, the Medical Society of The State of New York, the New York County Medical Society and the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Mr. Kelton is a regular contributing columnist on medical malpractice and medical misconduct issues for Physician's Money Digest online magazine. He has lectured to attorneys, physicians and risk managers on medical malpractice litigation and the physician disciplinary process. Mr. Kelton has been a television commentator on issues involving civil litigation and personal injury law.
From 2007 until its closing in 2009, Mr. Kelton served as General Counsel to the Medical Staff of Cabrini Medical Center.
Mr. Kelton also handles Personal Injury Litigation, Business Litigation, Real Estate Litigation and Commercial/Corporate Litigation. With over 35 years experience in Medical Malpractice, Health Law, Professional Misconduct Litigation and General Litigation, Mr. Kelton has received the highest ("AV") rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Rating System for attorneys, signifying legal ability of "very high to preeminent" and ethical standards of "very high". Mr. Kelton has been designated a Super Lawyer by the Thomson-Reuters Company since 2011, a distinction earned by only 5% of the attorneys in the New York Metro area.
Mr. Kelton is admitted to practice in the State of New York and the State of California, and before the United States Supreme Court and various Federal appellate and trial courts.
Mr. Kelton is a 1977 graduate of the Albany Law School of Union University, and a 1973 Magna Cum Laude graduate of the State University of New York at Albany.
- New York, 1978
- California, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1995
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York - 1977
- State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York - 1973
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.0
- AVENUE Magazine: New York City’s Top Litigation Attorneys - 2010, 2011
- New York Super Lawyer - 2011-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Professional Discipline Section, Member
- New York County Lawyers Association, Member
- New York Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Albany Law School Annual Giving Campaign, National Chairperson, 2007-2008