Michael Bass is a Partner at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP.
Mr. Bass is a member of the Health Law Practice Group and provides counsel on all aspects of health care law. He particularly focuses on regulatory enforcement, advising health care providers including nursing homes, other long term care facilities, physician practice groups, surrogacy programs and others.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Mr. Bass was an attorney at the New York State Department of Health for nearly 13 years. In his time at the Department, he served as a prosecutor in the Bureau of Professional Medical Conduct, would later lead the Department’s Bureau of Litigation and then served as the Deputy General Counsel. He acted as General Counsel and led the Department’s Division of Legal Affairs through much of the COVID-19 pandemic. In that capacity, Mr. Bass oversaw approximately 120 attorneys and the hundreds of legal matters the Department was involved with through its Ethics Office, Bureaus of Professional Medical Conduct, Program Counsel, Health Facility Planning and Development, Adjudication, Litigation, Enforcement, Records Access Office and the legal wing of the New York State Department of Health.
While he advised the Commissioner on all matters relating to the COVID-19 pandemic response, Mr. Bass’ time at the Department also included work on the expansion of New York’s Medical Marijuana Program, banning of flavors in vaping products, the Department’s role in litigation against the opioid industry and the prosecution of physicians associated with the NXIVM cult.
Mr. Bass served as a prosecutor in the Cayuga County District Attorney’s Office and was once the St. Lawrence County Public Defender. While previously working in private practice, Mr. Bass specialized in criminal defense and litigation.
Past volunteer activities include the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Program, service on the Booker T. Washington Board of Directors in Auburn, New York, and coaching youth football. Mr. Bass has also coached football and track at the high school varsity level and wrestling at the junior varsity level.
Mr. Bass earned his J.D. from the Syracuse University College of Law, his B.A. from the University of Albany, and was a member of the varsity football team while he attended Penn State.
Mr. Bass is admitted to practice law in the State of New York.
- New York State Leadership Institute
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York
- First Year Moot Court, Dean’s List
- University of Albany, Albany, New York
- Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania
Classes and Seminars
- A Few Good Trial Tactics - CLE presentation
- Copyright Law and the Fair Use Doctrine - CLE presentation
- The Law on Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing - CLE presentation
- NYSDOH Litigation Update - CLE presentation
- NYSDOH Bureau of Professional Medical Conduct Direct Referral Process - CLE presentation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Albany County Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member