Glenn M. Jones
Glenn M. Jones is a Partner and Chair of the Health Care Fraud and White-Collar Criminal Defense Practice Group at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara, Wolf & Carone, LLP.
Mr. Jones represents individuals and companies in a wide range of federal, state and local regulatory enforcement, criminal, and civil matters from investigation to trial. Mr. Jones has extensive experience with complex federal and state investigations and litigation in matters related to healthcare fraud, waste and abuse, white-collar crime, and regulatory and compliance issues. He also has experience in matters involving allegations of violations of Stark, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”) commodities, securities and accounting fraud, mail and wire fraud, grand larceny and money laundering. In his practice, Mr. Jones represents a wide variety of health care providers and health care executives, including but not limited to, doctors, physician groups, hospitals, nursing homes, hospital and nursing home staff and executives, urgent care centers, sleep centers, imaging centers, pharmacy, pharmacists, home health, home infusion, medical devices and pharmaceutical companies.
These representations include government investigations, including grand jury investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”), United States Attorneys’ Offices, and State and local prosecutors’ offices and investigations, including the Department of Health and Human Services, New York State Medicaid Inspector General, New York State Department of Health and New York State Attorney General’s Office, New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Mr. Jones had his own practice. He was also a partner in the business litigation practice group at Offit Kurman P.C. and Senior Counsel in the Washington D.C. office of the international law firm of Fulbright & Jaworski LLP (now Norton Rose Fulbright) in the firm’s white-collar crime, government investigation/enforcement and health care practice groups.
In addition, Mr. Jones served as Special Assistant Attorney General in the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit of the New York State Attorney General's office for eight years. In this capacity, he was involved in the investigation and prosecution of complex white-collar crime, including institutional and multi-defendant fraud cases. Prior to joining the Office of the New York State Attorney General, he was a trial attorney with the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission where he investigated and prosecuted fraud, trade practice and other civil enforcement actions under the Commodity Exchange Act. Mr. Jones also served as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D.,
- Dean’s List
- Patricia Roberts-Harris Fellow
- Hunter College, B.A.
- Represented a nursing home in an investigation by the New York State Attorney General, Medicaid Fraud Control Unit.
- Represented the Chief Executive Officer of a drug treatment center in an investigation by the New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs.
- Represented the Board of Directors of a not for profit drug treatment center in its reorganization with a large umbrella organization.
- Represented a multi-state dental practice in Iowa Medicaid investigation.
- Represented pharmacy employees, including pharmacists in defamation action and related New Jersey Attorney General investigation.
- Represented a home health aide in an investigation by the New York State Attorney General, Medicaid Fraud Control Unit.
- Represented a certified nursing aide in an investigation by the New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs.
- Represented an independent practice association (“IPA”) in a Civil RICO litigation.
- Advised an IPA on compliance issues.
- Represented a not for profit nursing home in a New York State Attorney General investigation and related breach of contract and fraud lawsuit.
- Represent and advise a not for profit nursing home regarding charities issues concerning the New York State Attorney General.
- Represented a hospital Assistant Administrator in a New York State Justice Center investigation.
- Represented a hospital CFO in a New York State Department of Financial Services investigation.
- Represented a pharmacy in an investigation by DOJ regarding allegations of a violation of the False Claims Act.
- Represented an attorney in an investigation by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
- Represented a national pharmacy chain in an investigation by the NY State Attorney General, Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, regarding allegations of violation of the False Claims Act.
- Represented a physician regarding regulatory due diligence in the sale of several urgent care centers.
- Represented a foreign pharmaceutical company regarding regulatory due diligence in the possible purchase of a company under investigation for possible violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Represented a venture capital firm regarding regulatory due diligence in the purchase of a medical device company under indictment for violations of the federal Mail and Wire Fraud and Anti-Kickback statutes.
- Represented an individual in a Department of Commerce, DOJ investigation concerning allegations of violations of U.S. sanctions against North Korea.
- Represented a physician in a DOJ investigation involving allegations of off-label marketing by a pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a hospital system in a criminal investigation involving DOJ.
- Represented a health care company in an inquiry with the NY State Department of Health.
- Represented a health care company in an investigation by NY State Medicaid Inspector General (“OMIG”).
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the New York State Attorney General's Louis J. Lefkowitz Memorial Group Award for Superior Service in 2006.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York City Bar Association, Health Law Committee – member
- American Bar Association, member
- Health Law and Criminal Justice Sections
- Co-Author with Richard Smith and Kimberly Levy, "High Court Upholds Right of State Prosecutors to Enforce State Fair Lending Laws Against National Banks," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, July 2009
- Co-author with Richard Smith, Kimberley Walker and Fatema Merchant, "Proposed Legislation May Expand the Occupational Safety and Health Act's Applicability and Increase Penalties," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, June 2009
- Co-Author with Richard Smith and Maria N. Lerner, "Growing Credit Crisis: New York, SEC, and Nine other States Launch Investigations into Auction-Rates Securities Market," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, April 2008
Classes and Seminars
- “False Claims Act Ethical Issues,” panelist, 3rd Advanced Forum on the False Claims Act and Qui Tam Enforcement, New York, NY January 2016
- “FCPA latest developments,” panelist, NYCLA CLE, New York, NY April 2015
- “False Claims Act seminar,” panelist, Lenders One conference, Orlando Fla., March 2013
- “Regulatory Trends, Fraud, and other Issues on the Horizon,” Speaker, PlI Basics of Accounting for Lawyers 2011, Chicago Il., July 25, 2011
- “ABA Fundamentals in Health Care Law, The False Claims Act,” Panelist, ABA Teleconference, April 12, 2011
- “Government Enforcement and Compliance Round-table,” Moderator, ABA Washington Health Care Summit, Washington D.C. December 7, 2010
- "Social Media Marketing in Health Care and the Life Sciences," Panelist, ABA Teleconference and Live Audio Webcast, April 28, 2010
- "Social Media Marketing in Health Care and the Life Sciences," Panelist, ABA Conference on Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law, February 19, 2010
- "Government Enforcement and Compliance Round-table," Moderator, ABA Washington Health care Summit, Washington D.C., October 27, 2009
- "2009 Health Law Educational Program: The Government Strikes: Responding to Searches and Investigations," Panelist, Teleconference, September 23, 2009
- "Reimbursement and False Claims Act Fundamentals" Panelist, CLE Teleconference, ABA Health Law Section, September 17, 2009
- "Medicare/Medicaid Repayments and Disclosures: New Law, New Obligations, New Risks, Moderator, ABA Teleconference, September 2, 2009
- "Health Care Fraud Enforcement Trends," Panelist, Fulbright Breakfast Seminar, New York, New York, April 20, 2009
- "Anti-kickback Law Basics," Lecturer, American Bar Association Center for Continuing Legal Education Web Seminar, March 12, 2009
- "Medicaid Fraud and Qui Tam - the Next Frontier," Lecturer, Law Education Institute, Vail Colorado, January 8, 2008
- "Medicaid Enforcement and Compliance Round-table," Moderator, ABA Washington Health care Summit, Washington D.C., December 4, 2007
- "Medicaid 2007: A New Wave of Enforcement - How to Prepare & React," CLE Webinar, Center for Business Intelligence, October 4, 2007
- "Nursing Homes Quality of Care Prosecutions," Moderator, CLE Teleconference, ABA Health Law Section, February 7, 2007
- "Drug Diversion, The Tainting of Our Drug Delivery System for Profit," Lecturer, Prosecuting Medicaid Fraud Course, New York Prosecutors Training Institute, Hunter, New York, New York, October 11, 2006
- "Health-care Boards Under the Gun: Strategies for Effective Board Governance and related Board Litigation," Moderator, CLE Teleconference, ABA Health Law Section, July 27, 2006
- "Significant Cases: Chaps/Staten Island University Hospital," Lecturer, National Association of Medicaid Fraud Control Units Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, February 2006