Nancy Levitin is a Partner and the Director of the Health Care Reimbursement and Recovery Practice at Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara & Einiger, LLP.
She counsels the firm's clients on all matters pertaining to Medicaid, guardianships, third party reimbursement, private collections, Medicare, HMOs, and estate recoveries.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Ms. Levitin was an elder law attorney with her own practice on Long Island. She is also a former staff attorney with Legal Services for the Elderly and the former New York City coordinator of the New York State Disability Advocacy Project.
Ms. Levitin is a contributing author of Elder Law and Guardianship in New York and the Legal Manual for New York Physicians. Her articles have been published in the New York Law Journal, NYSBA Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, and by trade associations including the New York State Health Facilities Association. She has written several books including Health Care Rights, Retirement Rights and America's Health Care Crisis, and has spoken on the issue of Medicaid, guardianship, and nursing home reimbursement to both bar and trade associations including Leading Age New York (formerly NYAHSA).
Ms. Levitin is designated as a New York Super Lawyer in 2010, 2011, and 2012, a distinction earned by only five percent of the lawyers in the New York metro area. She was also included in the list of Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area for 2012 in the New York Times Magazine.
Nancy Levitin received her undergraduate degree from Tufts University and her J.D. from the New York University School of Law where she was a member of the Review of Law and Social Change journal.
Areas of Practice
- Elder Law
- Health Law
- Third Party Reimbursement
- Private Collections
- Estate Recoveries
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- New York University School of Law , New York , New York
- Law Journal: Review of Law and Social Change Journal , Member
- Tufts University
- Reflecting on Scope of Guardianship Appointments (New York Law Journal, Outside Counsel, November 20, 2012)
- The Provider's Role in Proving Undue Hardship (NYSBA Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, Fall 2012)
- Elder Law and Guardianship in New York, a Practice Guide for Attorneys (Contributing Author, West Group)
- Covering Guardianship Costs in a Post-'Deanna W' World (New York Law Journal, Outside Counsel, January, 6,2011)
- Protracted Medicaid Disputes:The Provider's Perspective (NYSBA Elder and Special Needs Law Journal, Summer, 2011)
- Legal Manual for New York Physicians (Contributing Author, NYSBA)
- Health Care Rights (Author, Avon Books)
- Retirement Rights (Author, Avon Books)
- America's Health Care Crisis (Author, Avon Books)
- Kids' Court (Author, Scholastic Books)
Honors and Awards
- New York Super Lawyer 2010-2012
- Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area, New York Times Magazine 2012
Past Employment Positions
- Elder Law Office of Nancy Levitin, Solo Practitioner
- Legal Services for the Elderly, Staff Attorney
- Binder & Binder, Associate
- Williamson & Williamson, Associate