Bruce A. Blakeman is of counsel to Abrams, Fensterman, Fensterman, Eisman, Formato, Ferrara & Einiger, LLP.
Prior to joining Abrams Fensterman, Mr. Blakeman was the founding partner of Robert M. Blakeman & Associates. For over twenty-two years, Mr. Blakeman has been representing clients in the areas of real estate, commercial litigation, transportation, finance, and insurance. He has also had extensive experience in legal, financial and budgetary matters in both the public and private sectors. Mr. Blakeman is active in Homeland Security in the New York City region. As a Commissioner of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey from 2001-2008, Mr. Blakeman served as Vice Chair of its Security Subcommittee and also served on numerous other committees such as the Finance and Audit Committees, which oversee all financial aspects of the Port Authority, including its $4.6 Billion annual budget, its financial arrangements, bonding obligations, insurance and risk management.
Since 1990, he has served as General Counsel to New England Motor Freight, Inc. and its affiliated companies that have annual revenues of approximately $400 Million. Mr. Blakeman is also President of Madison Strategies, Ltd., a strategic consulting firm whose client list includes financial institutions, real estate development firms, service industry businesses, and other companies.
Mr. Blakeman comes from a long line of politically and civically involved family members. For instance, his father, Robert, is a former New York State Assemblyman, and his brother, Brad, was Deputy Assistant to President George W. Bush in charge of scheduling and appointments. Mr. Blakeman was also a member of the 2004 Bush/Cheney 72- Hour Legal Team and in 1998, he was the Republican candidate for New York State Comptroller. Additionally, Mr. Blakeman served from 1996 to 1999 as the Presiding Officer (Speaker) of the Nassau County Legislature. He was Chairman of the Budget Review Committee and Vice Chairman of the Finance Committee overseeing a county budget in excess of $2 Billion. Prior to becoming Presiding Officer of the Nassau County Legislature, Mr. Blakeman was a member of the Hempstead Town Board in Hempstead, New York.
A frequent commentator and panelist for most local media outlets, such as Fox-5, WABC and Court TV, Mr. Blakeman has received many awards and honors for his skill and commitment, including Man of the Year Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County; President's Award Court Officers' Association; Man of the Year Superior Officers' Association; as well as an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Briarcliffe College.
Mr. Blakeman has been a member of the Board of Directors of North Sea Insurance Company, a property and casualty company licensed in New York, New Jersey and several other states. In addition, Mr. Blakeman was President of the Tobacco Settlement Local Development Corporation, controlling $78 Million in tobacco settlement funds for Nassau County from 1999 to August 2004.
Mr. Blakeman received his B.S. from Arizona State University and his J.D. from California Western School of Law. He also holds an Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security from Long Island University and currently serves on its faculty as a Senior Fellow in the Department of Homeland Security Studies. Mr. Blakeman is Associate Director of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Foundation and is its Deputy Counsel, as well as Associate Counsel to the Fire Marshal Benevolent Association of Nassau County.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Commercial Litigation
- Financial and Budgetary Matter
- New York,1984
- New Jersey,1984
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York,1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York,1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit,1989
- U.S. Supreme Court,1991
- California Western School of Law,San Diego,California
- Arizona State University
- Long Island University
- Major:Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security
- Faculty,Senior Fellow, Department of Homeland Security Studies
- Speaker,Nassau County Legislature
Honors and Awards
- Man of the Year Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County
- President's Award Court Officers' Association
- Man of the Year Superior Officers' Association
- Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Briarcliffe College
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey,Commissioner ,2001-2008
- Homeland Security, New York City Region
- New England Motor Freight, Inc.,General Counsel
- Madison Strategies, Ltd.,President
- 2004 Bush/Cheney 72- Hour Legal Team,Member
- Budget Review Committee and Vice Chairman of the Finance Committee,Chairman
- Nassau County Legislature,Presiding Officer
- Hempstead Town Board in Hempstead, New York,Member
- Robert M. Blakeman & Associates,Founding Partner
- North Sea Insurance Company,Board of Directors
- Tobacco Settlement Local Development Corporation,President
- Federal Law Enforcement Officers Foundation,Associate Director
- Fire Marshal Benevolent Association of Nassau County,Deputy Counsel
- Fire Marshal Benevolent Association of Nassau County,Associate Counsel